NCI GIS Portal
NCI Tobacco Policy Viewer
Who's Leading the Way in Smoke Free Laws?
In the NCI Tobacco Policy Viewer you can:
- Let the tool animate over 5 year increments or manually select the display year in the time slider control.
- Use controls in the legend to switch between viewing laws pertaining to smoking within Bars, Restaurants, or Workplaces.
- Show and hide the two layers of information; State smoking laws, or County and City smoking laws.
- Click on features to view information about currently displayed State, County, or City laws.
- Pan and zoom the dynamic webmap to investigate specific areas of the country.
The NCI Tobacco Policy Viewer provides access to the following statistics at State, County, or City level:
- Laws requiring 100% smoke-free non-hospitality workplaces, including both public and private non-hospitality workplaces, including, but not limited to, offices, factories, and retail stores.
- Laws requiring 100% smoke-free restaurants, including any attached bar in the restaurant.
- Laws requiring 100% smoke-free freestanding bars.
The datasets presented in the tool are available for download here:
- Population percent covered dataset (xlsx - 1,247 KB)
- State Smoking Laws (csv - 4 KB)
- County Smoking Laws (csv - 380 KB)
- City Smoking Laws (csv - 574 KB)
This information was sourced from the American Non-Smoker's Rights Foundation. Specifically these datasets were derived from the "Chronological Table of U.S. Population Protected by 100% Smokefree State or Local Laws" document located on the Smokefree Lists, Maps, and Data page.
This map application is not accessible to users of assistive technologies. All of the statistics displayed in the application are available as data tables in an accessible text version.