Other GIS Tools
Other GIS Tools
- GIS File Library - a compilation of tools and data from Directions Magazine.
- GIS Search Engine - a search engine that retrieves content specifically from GIS websites.
- Geographic Names Information System - contains information on almost 2 million physical and cultural geographic features in the United States.
- University of Southern California's Geocoding Resources - an up-to-date reference list of geocoding tools and services.
- The BUGS Project (Bayesian inference Using Gibbs Sampling) - software for the Bayesian analysis of complex statistical models using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods
- maps2WinBUGS - a tool for transformation from different vector graphical map formats to the GeoBUGS format.
- TerraSeer - advanced tools for complex data analysis.
- CrimeStat Spatial Statistics Program - software for the analysis of crime incident locations.
- GATHER - Geographic Analysis Tool for Health & Environmental Research. Provides health-related spatial data and functionality from the Centers for Disease Control and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Includes Environmental Health Analyst interactive tool.
- GIS-H Connectivity Software - links to several software packages useful for spatial analysis.
- Code for spatial statistics and image analysis - a collection of links at Penn State University.
- GeoDa - a graphical interface to methods of descriptive spatial data analysis, such as spatial autocorrelation statistics and indicators of spatial outliers.
- CSISS Tools Clearinghouse - a list of tools, including a search engine and links to portal sites. Provided by the Center for Spatially Integrated Social Science.
Mapping and Data Visualization
- ArcView Translators - tools for translation to and from Esri
- Epi Info and Epi Map - free software for collection and geographic display of data, from the Division of Public Health Surveillance and Informatics of the Centers for Disease Control.
- MapInfo - developer of a number of mapping products and services.
- FreeGIS Project - freely available GIS software.
- MapCruzin.com GIS software - freely available GIS software and resources.
- Microsoft MapPoint - integrates with Microsoft Office.
- MapTools - hosts open source mapping projects, and provides other resources to users and developers of such projects.
- Shapelib - source code and documentation for an Application Program Interface in C to read and write Esri shape files.
- ColorBrewer - Dr. Cynthia Brewer's site for map color selection. (Also see ColorTool for use in ArcMap.)
- Educational Color Applets - includes background information on color perception and software tools to convert from one color space to another.
- "Making maps that communicate" [PDF - 895 KB] - ArcUser article with tips for the non-professional mapmaker.
- University of Waterloo Map & Design Library
- U.S. Census Bureau Maps and Cartographic Resources
Miscellaneous Mapping Resources
- Map Machine - National Geographic's interactive mapping tool.
- EnviroMapper - a tool developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to map various types of environmental information, including air releases, drinking water, toxic releases, hazardous wastes, water discharge permits, and Superfund sites.
- GeoVISTA Center - geovisualization research at Penn State University's Department of Geography, including the dynamic parallel coordinate plot.
- Gallery of Data Visualization - displays examples of "the Best and Worst of Statistical Graphics".
- Telling Compelling Stories with Numbers - a HowTo.gov archived webinar on quantitative data visualization.
- XGobi and XGvis - free software for multivariate data visualization.